COVID-19 kills more than 5,000 deaths in LA County in 24 days


In less than a month, Los Angeles County has recorded more than 5,000 COVID-19 related deaths, a pace that exposes the rampant and brutal spread of the virus throughout the county.

In the nearly nine months between the first reported death on March 11 and the end of last year, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus killed more than 10,000 people in the county. In the 24 days since, the death toll accelerated dramatically with 5,106 casualties.

The Los Angeles County Public Department of Public Health’s official death toll was valued at 15,162 after 269 deaths and 10,537 new cases of COVID-19 were confirmed on Saturday. Overall, the county’s confirmed case totaled 1,064,887.

“We wish everyone the healing and peace of a loved one who has lost to COVID-19,” said Barbara Ferrer, Los Angeles County Public Health Director in a statement. “Many continue to spread the virus and sadly now COVID-19 has killed more than 15,000 people in Los Angeles County.”

In Saturday’s deaths, 62% of the dead were aged 65 and older – a risk-related demographic that county officials are struggling to quickly vaccinate against the virus.

The county also reported that 6,881 COVID-19 patients are currently hospitalized with 24% of intensive care. Those figures offered something of a silver lining as they mark the first time the county has dipped below 7,000 hospitals since December 29.

However, the hospital’s ICU capacity in Southern California is at 0%.

“When we are seeing some positive data in new cases and hospitals daily, we are away from the wilderness,” Ferrer said. “It is critically important that we spread COVID-19 to reduce the pressure on our healthcare system and save lives.”

He said, “Please continue to follow all safety measures to protect yourself and others: stay at home as much as possible, cover face, avoid ceremonies, keep your distance and wash your hands frequently. “

On Saturday, the county reported eight new cases of a serious inflammatory disease that attacks children. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states that the disease, known as MIS-C, is associated with COVID-19 and causes severe swelling of body parts and vital organs. Children may experience symptoms such as “abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, neck pain, rash, eye irritation” and fatigue.

There are currently 62 cases in the county with Latino accounting for approximately 74% of all infections. A death has occurred.

45% of all children with MIS-C are admitted to ICU.

According to the county’s health care agency, in Orange County, 78 deaths and 2,725 new COVID-19 infections were recorded on Saturday, totaling 221,493 cases and 2,625 fatalities in the region.

There are currently 1,818 patients hospitalized, of which 482 require intensive care.

Between January 10 and January 16, Orange County also reported 31 COVID-19 infections tied to county schools. Eleven students, 11 staff members and nine teachers became infected with the majority of cases from primary and middle schools.

Since mid-August, 1,229 Orange County students, 490 teachers and 399 staff members have signed COVID-19.

The county has also reported that out of the total people recovered from the virus, 152,368 people.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.