Court President John Roberts hospitalized last month after head injury – Deadline

United States Supreme Court President John Roberts fell last month and required an overnight stay in the hospital, a Supreme Court spokeswoman confirmed to Deadline on Tuesday. The Washington Post revealed the story.

Kathy Arberg, Supreme Court public information officer, issued this statement to Deadline:

The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court was treated at a local hospital on June 21 for a head injury sustained in a fall while walking to exercise near his home. The injury required sutures and, as a precaution, he remained in the hospital overnight and was discharged the following morning. His doctors ruled out a seizure. They believe the drop was likely due to the daze caused by dehydration.

The incident had not been publicly disclosed before Tuesday.

The Supreme Court stops, for now, the effort of the Donald Trump administration to end the DACA program

According to The Post, “Roberts’ head was covered in blood.”

Roberts was also hospitalized in 2007 after suffering a seizure. While on vacation that summer, Roberts fell off a pier after experiencing what a court spokesman called a “benign idiopathic seizure.” According to The Post, that indicates there was no easily identifiable cause for the event, such as a tumor.

Newsweek has reported that Roberts suffered a seizure in 1993 while playing golf. Justice could not drive for several months, according to the report.

Conservative Roberts has been the deciding vote in two recent, hot cases. A few days before being hospitalized, Roberts sided with liberal Supreme Court justices to block President Trump’s attempt to end DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals). Also in June, Roberts voted with the liberals in a case that confirms protections against discrimination for LGBTQ workers.

In May of this year, Judge Ruth Bader Ginsberg, 87, underwent outpatient testing at Sibley Memorial Hospital in Washington, DC. Tests confirmed that Ginsberg suffered from a gallstone that had migrated to her cystic duct, blocking it and causing an infection. court said.

Ginsberg was admitted to Johns Hopkins Hospital the following day after undergoing non-surgical treatment the previous day for a benign gallbladder condition.

The next day, she participated in oral arguments from the hospital before being discharged.

Ted Johnson contributed to this report.