Coronovirus forces the teams of Mitchell-Scott and Jumbo-Wisma to withdraw from Giro d’Atalia


Rome – Giro d’Italia was thrown into chaos on Tuesday, when two full teams, another overall contender and a more elite rider withdrew from the bicycle race after a series of positive tests for the coronovirus.

The teams of Mitchell-Scott and Jumbo-Wisma left the race before Stage 10.

Four Mitchelton-Scott staff members tested positive. He came back after contracting COVID-19 even after Mitchellton-Scott team leader Simon Yates withdrew before the eighth stage on Saturday.

Dutch contender Steven Kruijswijk of Zumba-Wisma and rider Michael Matthews of Team SunWeb also tested positive with 571 examinations for all riders and staff members with Monday’s rest day. Kruijswijk and Matthew withdrew from the incident.

Jumbo-Wisma then announced minutes before the stage started that he was also withdrawing the rest of his team. Nevertheless, the stage started with the remaining 20 teams and 145 remaining riders.

“We’ve been in contact with everyone [Kruijswijk] For days past, “Jumbo-Wisma Sports Director Eddie Engels told RAI State TV. “So the risk of passing it through someone else is for several days. We are not risk takers. ‘

In addition, a staff member for the Ineos Grenadiers team and a staff member for AG2R-La Mondiale came back positive and was put in isolation.

Giro director Mauro Vegeni suggests that the race will not have a winner if it is not planned on 25 October in Milan. The race was already rescheduled from its normal May slot due to a coronovirus epidemic.

“This morning, all teams with positive cases were given new, rapid tests and we will do it again tomorrow,” Vegni said. “We have done about 1,500 tests and obviously it is impossible to do more than this.

“The goal for all is still to reach Milan.”

Italy is hovering around 5,000 new coronovirus cases per day, prompting the government to consider more restrictions after mandating the mask last week.

Stage 10 of Giro was being run in the central Abruzzo region, 177 kilometers (110 mi) from Luciano to Tortoretto.

Mitchelton-Scott general manager Brent Copeland said the team’s positivity returned after a third-round test over three days.

“As a social responsibility for our riders and crews, the peloton and race organization have made a clear decision to withdraw from us,” ‘Copeland said. “Thankfully those who are affected remain asymptomatic or with mild symptoms. … We are now focusing on transporting them safely to the areas where they are most comfortable to conduct the quarantine period. Huh. ”

Krujiswijs finished 11th, 1 minute, 24 seconds behind race leader João Almeida. He scored three career top-10 finishes at Giro.

“Within the team we take a lot of measures to avoid contamination. And I just feel fit. I can’t believe I’ve got it. It’s a huge disappointment to get the news,” Kruijswijk he said. “It is a pity that I had to leave Giro like this.”

Matthews was not in overall contention – he was almost an hour behind Almeida – but he is an enthusiastic rider and strong runner who was aiming for a stage victory. The Australian rider has won a total of eight stages in three Grand Tours – Giro (two), Tour de France (three) and Spanish Vilta (three).

Sunweb said that Matthews “is currently asymptomatic, feels healthy and after receiving results early this morning, he is now in quarantine.” The team said that all its other riders and staff members returned negative tests.

Matthews had three top five spots in this year’s race, including second place result in Stage 6 behind Arnaud Demare.

Matthews wrote on Twitter, “Disappointed that Giro is the way for me after a great first week with the team.” “For now, I’ll start my isolation and look at things closely. Hope to fully recover and get racing soon. ‘

    .

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.