The already murky story of whether the former child actor Corey Feldman was abused by Hollywood pedophiles decades ago, became more complicated: the Office of the Santa Barbara County Sheriff has just found evidence that he previously said he did not have.
Feldman, a childhood star of The Goonies and Stand By Me has been saying for years that he and other child actors were sexually abused as minors by a circle of pedophiles in Hollywood .
He said he told his story to detectives in Santa Barbara County, and named names in 1993, but they were not interested. Feldman says they were busy investigating pop icon Michael Jackson for alleged child sexual abuse at his nearby Neverland ranch (Jackson was acquitted of the charges in 2005 and died in 2009).
More recently, the sheriff's office said they had no Feldman record naming a suspect in his allegation that he was sexually assaulted. Now history has changed.
Sheriff's spokeswoman Kelly Hoover issued a statement to USA TODAY on Wednesday confirming that the sheriff's office had found an audio recording of a 1993 Feldman interview by detectives and had turned it over to the Los Angeles Police Department. Angels
"Following the recent investigations into Mr. Feldman's interview in the Sheriff's Office in 1993, the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office conducted an additional review of the remaining stored items of the Michael Jackson investigation", said the statement.
In a container that included the original investigation reports (from Jackson), the Sheriff's Office located some detective copies of the audio recordings made during the investigation. A copy of Mr. Feldman's interview was found. The recording is being turned over to the Angeles Police Department. "
Then the sheriff's office closed:" Due to the fact that this case involves the alleged sexual abuse of a child, we can not comment further and any documentation or evidence related to this case is exempt from release "to the media
One of the many confusing aspects of the Feldman case is that it is not clear why he reported his allegations in Santa Barbara County if the alleged abuse took place in Los Angeles County. Feldman told Santa Barbara police, who serve only the city or the sheriff's office, which serves the rest of the county.
Feldman's sordid story of a long-lasting pedophilia ring aimed at child actors is back in the headlines after the sexual harassment scandals that currently consume Hollywood and toppling many powerful industry leaders.
Feldman has been telling anyone I heard him, most recently in an appearance in November at Dr. Oz shows about what he says happened to him and his friends. And he started naming names after years of not doing it. He has even raised a quarter of a million for his $ 1 million goal of making a film about pedophilia, which he called "the number one problem in Hollywood."
He also took his story to the Los Angeles Police Department, which confirmed that he was investigating Feldman's claims and then almost closed his investigation. The LAPD said in a statement on November 9 that California's statute of limitations had expired because of Feldman's allegations and the detectives had no other way to go.
It's unclear if Santa Barbara's late discovery of a 24-year-old audio recording Feldman's detective interview will change anything. The police in Los Angeles refused to comment on the development.
Feldman's representative did not respond to a request for comment.
The former child actor hopes to raise around $ 10 million for a movie, a legal team and security for his family.
Video provided by Newsy
Read or share this story: https://usat.ly/2AgZPLW