Connecticut police chief killed in his recruitment with federal charges of rigging

A Connecticut police chief and acting personnel director of the city of Bridgeport was charged Thursday for rigging the recruitment process for the city’s top cop and then lying to FBI agents, according to a federal complaint.

Bridgeport Police Chief Armando “AJ” Perez, 64, along with David Dunn, 71, were each charged with wire fraud, conspiracy to commit wire fraud and making false statements to investigators, said Audrey Strauss, Southern District Acting American Lawyer for New York.

Authorities accused Perez, a 32-year-old Veteran of the Bridgeport Police Department, and Dunn rigged the police chief exam in 2018 to ensure that Perez was selected for the job, leading to a corrupting process.

“As alleged, Chief Perez and Director of Personnel Dunn intended to rig the alleged fair and objective search for a permanent police chief to ensure the status quo, and then to hide his conduct at the bar. – Lied to federal agents once. ” Strauss said.

Officials said Thursday that Bridgeport Police Chief Armando “AJ” Perez, 64, was accused of Personnel Director David Dunn of rigging the 2018 exam to select Perez as the city’s police chief. had gone.
(Pulport Police Department / Facebook)

Officials said the 400-member police department has an annual budget of over $ 100 million.

Dunn is accused of giving Perez exam questions in advance, two police officers completed their written exams, and had to skew the scoring to ensure Peres was one of the top three job candidates.

FBI Special Agent-in-Charge David Sunderberg said the arrest was a “stern warning that betrayal of public trust and community members by a public servant is not only unethical and often illegal.”

Strauss said city dwellers and police officers are “leaders of allegiance who are committed to law enforcement, not to breaking, to law.”

Click here to get the Fox News app

Messages from Perez’s lawyer, Robert Frost, Dunn’s lawyer, Frederick Paoletti, and Bridgeport Mayor Joseph Ganeem were not returned.

The Connecticut Post reported that Perez and Dunn were each given a $ 150,000 bond.