Commander threatens to target Turkish forces in Libya


CAIRO (AP) – A Libyan commander who last year launched an aggressive campaign to capture the capital Tripoli from a UN-recognized rival government threatened to use force against Turkish troops on Thursday if Ankara’s war-torn north. The African does not stop interfering in the country.

Khalifa Hifter’s comments came in response to the Turkish parliament’s decision to extend a statute for 18 months, which allows the deployment of Turkish troops in Libya. Turkey’s military assistance to the Tripoli-based government – including advisors, equipment and intelligence – helped prevent Hifter’s year-long invasion of the capital. Turkey is also accused of sending thousands of Syrian mercenaries to Libya.

On the 69th anniversary of Libya’s Independence Day, comments from its eastern stronghold Benghazi stated, “There will be no security or peace as long as Turkish military boots are destroying our immaculate soil.” Bring peace with our own hands and our free will. “

Libya descended into chaos after 2011, which erupted after the eviction and killing of longtime dictator Moammar Gaddafi. Since 2015, Libya has been divided between two governments, one in the east and one in the west. The Western Government is known as the Government of National Accord and is officially recognized by the United Nations.

Hifter is affiliated with the Eastern Government, while Turkey supports the GNA.

The decision of Turkish lawmakers came on Tuesday, despite a UN-Brokley ceasefire in Libya announced in October. The truce agreement envisaged the departure of foreign troops and mercenaries within three months.

“The colonial enemy has two options: either to leave peacefully or to withdraw by force,” Hifter said, referring to Turkey.

The UN support mission in Libya seized the same national opportunity for Libya’s rivals to follow a cease-fire and honor a political roadmap that envisages national elections in December 2021.

“While the mission calls for the Libyan people to strengthen their efforts and take bold steps towards national reconciliation, and for all Libyans to live in peace and prosperity, it leads the Libyan people to their Confirms its full commitment to assist in the construction. Unified State, “a UNSMIL statement issued on Thursday said.

Earlier this month, 75 Libyan leaders who virtually opposed the camps agreed to hold elections next year, in a political forum launched by the United Nations. However, they failed to break a deadlock over the selection mechanism for the transitional government that would lead the country to vote.

“A cease-fire continues in Libya between the Tripoli-based government and coalition forces between their rivals in the east,” said a comment published Thursday by the International Crisis Group. Yet at five-month intervals there is cause for concern. The conflict may end abruptly.

In recent weeks, both governments have accused their breaches of the ceasefire agreement by mobilizing their troops near the front and receiving military support from their respective territorial support.

During his campaign to try and take down the collapsed Tripoli in June, Hifter supported the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, France and Russia. A UN expert’s report says that Russia has been supporting Hifter’s forces with military equipment and private armed operatives. Apart from Turkey, the Tripoli government has supported Italy and Qatar.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.