A future father in upstate New York was killed when a device he was building for a gender reveal party exploded, state police said Monday.
Christopher Pekny, 28, was working on the device for his son’s gender reveal party in the Catskills town of Liberty when it exploded just before noon Sunday, cops said.
The blast killed Pekny and injured her brother, Michael Pekny, 27, who was treated for his injuries at Garnet Medical Center in Middletown, according to police.
The Robin Hood restaurant at Livingston Manor, owned and operated by the Pekny family since the 1980s, mourned the loss of Christopher in a statement.
“We are deeply saddened and must inform everyone of the loss of our dear and beloved Christopher,” the family wrote on Facebook.
“We appreciate the overwhelming show of love and support that all of you have shown.”
Police said the incident remains under investigation.
It’s just the latest in a string of tragedies caused by faulty gender reveal devices in recent years.
Earlier this month, a 26-year-old Michigan man died after being hit by shrapnel from a malfunctioning cannon used at a baby shower.
Another gender-revealing pyrotechnic device sparked a massive wildfire in Southern California in September 2020, burning thousands of acres.
With pole cables