Capitol protesters face the consequences of their selfie sabotage –

Capitol protesters face the consequences of their selfie sabotage

Mr. Biggs’s activities that day were detailed by him and others. Their walk from the Washington Monument was filmed by Eddie Block, a Proud Boy on a motorized scooter who rolled behind him and identified Mr. Biggs and others in his comment. Mr. Biggs repeatedly appeared in photographs and videotaped himself ascending the steps of the Capitol.

It was a long and winding road that got him to that point. Mr. Biggs, 37, also known as Rambo, was a DJ in Florida, “running around, drinking ecstasy in nightclubs all the time dancing” before joining the military in 2007, he has said on his broadcasts. He was sent to Iraq for a year and then to Afghanistan. He made his media debut after leaving active duty in 2012.

In 2008, Michael Hastings, a reporter with Biggs’s Afghanistan unit, encouraged him to play a role in the media on camera upon his return to the United States, Biggs said. Before Hastings died in a car accident in 2013, he wrote a profile of General Stanley McChrystal for Rolling Stone that ended the general’s military career.

Biggs ‘breakup came after he fueled conspiracy theories surrounding Hastings’ death. Jones invited him to Infowars, the far-right online and radio show promoting the conspiracy.

Biggs joined Infowars in 2014, traveling to racial justice rallies in Ferguson, Missouri the next year and the occupation of the Malheur Wildlife Refuge in Oregon by far-right armed extremists in 2016. Accompanying Jones to the 2016 Republican Convention National, Mr. Biggs got into a fight with communist protesters, including one who burned an American flag.

He and another Infowars associate claimed they had burned themselves trying to put out the fire. In a profanity-filled video titled “Joe ‘Rambo’ Biggs: Commie Crushing Crusader!” Biggs said he had “jumped over” the “policemen”, ripped off the protester’s shirt and “hit” him.

However, police charged the protester, Gregory “Joey” Johnson, with a misdemeanor assault.

When Mr. Johnson’s attorneys viewed the videos of Mr. Biggs’s claims, they demanded that the assault charges against Mr. Johnson be dropped, which was the case. Johnson sued the city of Cleveland and its police, saying they had violated his First Amendment rights. He received a settlement for $ 225,000.

Source link