Sources also said they reached out to The Times because they felt that the Duchess’s version that had come out publicly was only partially true and that they were concerned about how bullying issues had been dealt with. The report said sources believed the public “should get a feel for their side of the story” ahead of the couple’s highly anticipated interview with Oprah Winfrey set to air on Sunday, their first appearance since they left London to North America last year.
Buckingham Palace said it was “very concerned” by the allegations described in the report.
“Accordingly, our human resources team will analyze the circumstances described in the article. Staff members involved at that time, including those who have left home, will be invited to participate to see if lessons can be learned,” he said in his release. .
“The Royal House has had a Dignity at Work policy for several years and does not and will not tolerate bullying or harassment in the workplace.”
Prince Harry and Meghan announced in January 2020 that they would cease to be active members of the royal family and moved to North America shortly thereafter. Buckingham Palace confirmed last month that the couple had agreed with Queen Elizabeth II, Harry’s grandmother, that they would not return as active royals.
The move led to talk of a rift between the couple, who are settled in California and expecting their second child, and the British royal family.
A spokesman for the Sussexes dismissed the Times report as “a calculated smear campaign” ahead of the couple’s interview with Winfrey.
“Let’s call this what it is: a calculated smear campaign based on misleading and damaging information. We are disappointed to see this defamatory portrait of the Duchess of Sussex receive credibility from one media outlet,” the spokesperson said.
“The Duchess is saddened by this latest attack on her character, particularly as someone who has been bullied herself and is deeply committed to supporting those who have experienced pain and trauma. She is determined to continue her work in building compassion throughout the world. world. and I will continue to strive to set an example of doing what is right and doing what is good.
The spokesman said the claims made in the Times report were “defamatory” and that a legal rebuttal letter had been sent to the news outlet.
The Times declined to comment when approached by CNN.
Harry touched on real life pressures during a conversation with fellow Brit James Corden for his “Late Late Show” last month.
“It was a really difficult environment,” the Duke said. “We all know what the British press can be like … and it was destroying my sanity. I thought, ‘This is toxic,’ so I did what any husband and father would do: I need to get my family out of here.”
Harry and Meghan have been embroiled in a long-running war of words and lawsuits with a large section of the tabloid media, fighting multiple legal cases against publications and photo agencies that had printed details of their private lives.
Last month, Meghan won a privacy claim against the publishers of the Mail on Sunday after they published a letter she sent to her father, and launched a harsh reprimand to “dehumanize” media organizations after the verdict, saying that “The damage they have done and continue to do is profound.”