Broward MP Scot Peterson stands behind a concrete wall doing nothing while high school students lie dead and wounded a few feet away, a recently released video of Florida school shootings.
The Broward Sheriff's Office released the 27-minute video video on Thursday from the former resource officer who responded to initial reports of a shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on February 14. Peterson, who was badigned to the school and on the site when the shooting began, is seen with a civilian safety monitor at the beginning of the video, but most of the video is left standing outside the school with his gun drawn.
Former deputy Scot Peterson, on the right, appears in a video recently released during Florida's February 14 school shooting.
"The video speaks for itself," the Broward Sheriff's Office said in a statement. "His actions were sufficient to guarantee an internal affairs investigation, as requested by Sheriff Scott Israel on February 21. After being suspended without pay, Peterson decided to resign and immediately withdrew instead of facing a possible termination."
COP WHO DIDN & # 39; T INCOME TO FLORIDA SCHOOL DURING DISPENSATION APPARENTLY LIED TO THINK FIRE OUTSIDE
Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel previously said that Peterson, who was armed when gunman Nikolas Cruz opened fire at Parkland High School, " never entered [to] "the building was under attack. The sheriff added that Peterson took a position looking at the west entrance of the building, as shown in the video published on Thursday. Peterson remains in the area for the next 20 minutes. The responding agents arrive at the scene, taking a total of 11 minutes to enter the building from the moment they were first reported.
Cruz, who does not appear in the video released on Thursday, killed 17 people and wounded 17 others that day with Peterson out of all time. Israel said that Peterson should have accused and tried to kill the gunman.
Peterson responded to the sheriff's words in late February. In a statement released by his lawyer, the former deputy said he initially did not enter the building because he believed the shooter was outside. He added that he wished he could have avoided the horrible tragedy, but denied being a "coward".
Former deputy Scot Peterson is seen standing outside the building when gunman Nikolas Cruz opened fire inside.
(Broward Sheriff's Office)
The internal radio dispatches launched by the Broward County Sheriff's Department revealed that the former school resource officer said the shots came from the "inside," according to the Miami Herald.
"Do not go near building 12 or 1300, stay at least 500 feet away," Peterson was heard to say on the radio.
THE FLORIDA DEPUTY WHO DID NOT ENTER THE SCHOOL DURING MASSIVE DISSIPATION IS NOT A LAWYER & # 39; SAYS THE LAWYER
Investigators revealed that Peterson focused on getting nearby streets and the closed high school and keep the deputies away from the building.
Former deputy Scot Peterson was seen on a surveillance video at the time a shooting was reported at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. (AP)
The surveillance videos were made public after several media demanded the launch. A Broward circuit judge authorized the launch on Thursday. The superintendent of Broward County schools, Robert Runcie, endorsed the release of Thursday's video, saying it brings "transparency" to the investigation.
"I believe in transparency with the public and I think they should see it," Runcie had told the Sun Sentinel. "The public has the right to know what happened, and we should be able to learn from that and find out what we should change in our institutions to improve as we move forward."
"The lawyers agreed that it would not be like that." "Give all our secrets regarding safety" at Douglas High School, School Board President Nora Rupert told the Sun Sentinel about the decision not to appeal the release of the video.
It is not clear if other camera angles surrounding the school were available.
President Trump criticized Peterson's actions last month, calling him a "coward."
"When it came time to go in and do something, he did not have courage, or something happened," Trump said. . "He certainly did a bad job, which is the case where someone was outside, trained, did not react properly under pressure or was a coward."
Cruz appeared in court on Wednesday for his indictment on 17 counts of premeditated murder and 17 counts of attempted murder. The judge pleaded not guilty on behalf of the gunman. Prosecutors filed a notice of intent to seek the death penalty for Cruz on Tuesday.
Kathleen Joyce of Fox News and Travis Fedschun contributed to this report.
Katherine Lam is a digital producer of breaking news for Fox News. Follow her on Twitter at @bykatherinelam