Britain’s Prince Philip has a successful heart procedure


Britain’s Prince Philip has successfully undergone a heart procedure at a London hospital and is expected to remain for several days of “rest and recovery,” Buckingham Palace said on Thursday.

The palace said the 99-year-old Duke of Edinburgh, husband of Queen Elizabeth II, “underwent a successful procedure for a pre-existing heart condition at St Bartholomew Hospital.”

“His Royal Highness will remain in the hospital for treatment, rest and recovery for several days,” the palace said in a statement.

Philip has been hospitalized since February 16, when he was admitted to London’s King Edward VII Hospital for treatment for an infection. He was transferred Monday to a hospital specializing in cardiac care, St. Bartholomew’s.

Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, said Wednesday that her father-in-law’s condition was “improving slightly.”

“We will keep our fingers crossed,” said Camilla, who is married to Prince Charles, Felipe and Isabel’s eldest and the heir apparent.

Philip’s illness is not believed to be related to the coronavirus. Both Felipe and the monarch received the COVID-19 vaccines in January and chose to publicize the matter to encourage others to follow their example.

You have had heart problems in the past. In 2011, he was rushed to a hospital by helicopter after suffering chest pains and was treated for a blocked coronary artery.

Philip retired from royal duties in 2017 and rarely appears in public. Before his hospitalization, he had been isolated in Windsor Castle, west of London, with the queen.

Philip, the longest-serving royal consort in British history, married then-Princess Elizabeth in 1947. He and the queen have four children, eight grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.

His illness comes as the royal family prepares to broadcast an interview conducted by Oprah Winfrey with Prince Harry and his wife, former actress Meghan Markle.

The couple resigned from their royal duties last year and moved to Southern California, citing what they said were unbearable intrusions and racist attitudes from the British media.

Relations between the couple and the palace seem to have become increasingly strained. On Wednesday, the palace said it was launching a human resources investigation after a newspaper reported that a former adviser had accused Meghan of intimidating staff in 2018.

In a clip from Winfrey’s pre-recorded interview, posted by CBS, Winfrey asks the Duchess of Sussex how she feels about the palace “Hearing you speak your truth today?”

“I don’t know how they could expect that after all this time we would still be silent if there was an active role that ‘the Firm’ is playing in perpetuating the falsehoods about us,” he says.

“La Firma” is a nickname for the royal family, sometimes used with affection and sometimes with a critical note.



Source link