Brain-eating amoeba: Florida teenage parents raising awareness after son’s death


A family in Florida is sharing their story in the hope that their tragedy may bring awareness for others to learn the risks of hot water as their son died of a brain-eating amoeba.Tanner Wall loved water, but his parents believe what was in the water in a lake in Florida that killed him at just 13 years old.

Tanner’s parents told WJXT The teenager went on a family trip to a campground in North Florida. Four days later he became ill.

See: Brain Eating Amoeba: 8 Things You Need to Know

His parents said that he suffers from nausea, vomiting and bad headaches. When they took Tenor to the emergency room, he was diagnosed with a sore throat.

But his parents thought it was worse than that.

SEE ALSO: Brain-eating amoeba dies suddenly in 6-year-old child

“After all, I was very jealous. He was irritable at this point,” said Travis Wall, Tanner’s father. “I said, ‘You know what that is? Unhook him. Do what you have to do. We’ll transport him ourselves.”

The 13-year-old boy was taken to UF Health in Gainesville where he was put on a ventilator and doctors discovered he had parasitic amoebae.

SEE ALSO: Texas 10-year-old girl dies after contracting brain-eating amoeba

With no mind activity, on 2 August, Tanner’s parents chose to remove her from life support.

Her parents now hope that other families can recognize the symptoms before it is too late.

    .