Brain-eating amoeba claims the life of a Florida boy, 13


According to several reports, the brain-eating amoeba claimed the life of a 13-year-old boy in Florida. Tenor Lake Wall’s parents told Florida news outlet News4Jax that their son contracted the amoeba, Negleria fowlerlee, when she was swimming at a campground in North Florida near Tallahassee just days before her death.

“She used to swim in a lake with more than 50 children and our daughters on Friday and Saturday and our daughters were there, my husband was not there, and nobody was found,” said Tener’s mother Alicia Whitehill. TV news outlet.

The WASTEWATER system depicts the coronavirus at the University of Corona

According to several reports, the brain-eating amoeba claimed the life of a 13-year-old boy in Florida.
(IStock)

Tanner’s parents said the boy was a healthy and active teenager. But two days after swimming he started complaining of a bad headache, which was followed by nausea and vomiting. According to the news outlet, his parents took him to the Putnam Community Medical Center, where he was diagnosed with a sore throat. When he did not get better, they took him to UF Health in Gainesville, where he was put on a ventilator, the report states.

Tenor’s father Travis Wall said in an interview with media outlets that doctors told him: “We are sorry to tell you this but your son does not have bacterial meningitis, he has parasitic amoebae and has no cure.”

Tanner did not show signs of brain activity on August 2, eventually leading his parents to decide to resort to life. According to the report, he then succumbed to the infection.

Tanner Wall, 13.

Tanner Wall, 13.
(Amy Whitehill)

The family told the news outlet that they hope health care professionals will be more aware of this rare disease and need to put signs on hot water lakes to warn swimmers of a possible invisible killer.

According to the Florida Department of Health in Hillsborough County, Naegleria fowleri is a single-celled amoeba that can cause a rare fatal infection that destroys brain tissue. Amoeba is commonly found in warm freshwaters such as lakes, ponds, canals and rivers.

The site states that when a person enters the water through the nose, he can become infected. The state’s health site said contamination occurs during prolonged high temperatures when water temperatures are high and water levels are low. As of July, the county health department said that 37 cases have been documented in the state since 1962.

“Unfortunately, there are always the reasons for such a very serious infection. A free-living amoeba is obtained from swimming in the freshwater of the water,” Mount Sinai South’s chief infectious disease specialist for infectious disease Dr. Aaron Glatt Nassau told Fox News in New York. Glatt was not affiliated with the case.

Tanner's parents said the boy was a healthy and active teenager.  But two days after swimming he started complaining of a bad headache, which was followed by nausea and vomiting.

Tanner’s parents said the boy was a healthy and active teenager. But two days after swimming he started complaining of a bad headache, which was followed by nausea and vomiting.
(Amy Whitehill)

“The infected water containing this organism, Naegleria fowleri, enters the nose and the amoeba enters the brain and causes severe infection. While very rare, it can be a fatal infection that does not always respond to therapy. The disease progresses rapidly and the diagnosis is usually made after death, ”added Glatt, who is also a clinical professor of medicine at the Icahn School of Medicine in Mount Sinai.

“To make a diagnosis you will need a sample of cerebral bile fluid (CSF) that is usually obtained via a lumbar puncture. While this is a rare infection, there are only 145 cases in the US with CDC death. Once the rate is above 97%. A person becomes infected. There is a commonly used drug, known as miltefosine, that has been used to treat amoeba infections and in such infections It can be used, ”Dr. Fred Davis, Associate Chair of the Department of Emergency Medicine at Northwell Health Long Island Medical Center in New York, told Fox News.

Symptoms to include frontal headache, nausea, vomiting and fever. According to Florida health officials, when the disease progresses, a stiff neck, altered mental status and possible seizures, hallucinations and coma can occur. If you experience any of the above symptoms after swimming in a warm body of water, the health site recommends contacting your health care provider immediately.

Coronavirus May Threesome Toilets & Pipes: Study

The State Health Department recommends the following measures to help prevent this infection from occurring:

  • Avoid activities in hot fresh water during high water temperatures and low water levels
  • Avoid thermally polluted water activities such as hot springs, warm freshwater bodies and power plants
  • Use a nose clip or nose closure when swimming in hot fresh water or participating in activities such as lakes, hot springs or rivers
  • Avoid digging that can stimulate sediment by participating in activities in shallow, hot freshwater areas