President-Elect Biden today spoke on the phone with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Israeli President Raven Rivlin as part of a series of congratulatory calls with leaders around the world.
big picture: The order to return these calls is closely monitored by the incoming president. Biden called Netanyahu and Rivlin after speaking with leaders of nine other US allies over the past few days.
Flashback: director Trump spoke with Netanyahu the next day after he was elected in 2016, along with leaders from several other countries, including Egypt. America’s closest European allies were yet to wait.
- Biden, by contrast, began with Canada and then went on to American allies in Europe (France, Germany, UK, Ireland and Italy) and the Asia-Pacific (Australia, Japan and South Korea). Biden also spoke with Pope Francis.
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi Soon after Netanyahu announced the call with Biden.
- Between the lines: This may be an indication that Biden gave up on other Middle East allies in the US, perhaps to emphasize the importance of working with fellow democracies.
What they are saying
- It is unclear who Biden first called, but Rivlin went to issue a statement for the first time: “As a longtime friend of the state of Israel, you know that our friendship is based on values that Are beyond partisan politics and we have no doubt under your leadership, the United States is committed to the security and success of Israel. ‘
- Rivlin said he hoped to work with Biden “to build further bridges, and hoped throughout the region, as did the recently signed Abraham rulers.” He invited Biden to a meeting in Jerusalem and also offered him his best wishes for the vice-presidential election. Kamala Harris.
- After his own 20-minute call with Biden, Netanyahu released a statement referring to Biden as “presidential-elect” for the first time, with Netanyahu saying that Biden insisted in the call that he was Israel’s Deeply committed to safety.
What will happen next: Netanyahu said in his statement that he and Biden agreed to meet soon to strengthen the US-Israel alliance.
Go in: The incoming Israeli ambassador must win over the Democrats