President Biden originally ordered two airstrikes in Syria last week, but canceled one after learning just 30 minutes before the bombs were scheduled to drop that a woman and children were nearby, according to a report.
The 46th commander-in-chief, the Wall Street Journal reported Thursday, had ordered the Pentagon to remove the second of two targets after an aide urgently warned him of the presence of a woman and children in the area.
National Security Council spokeswoman Emily Horne, contacted by The Post for comment, said in a lengthy statement that the administration was reviewing, on the orders of the president, the “existing authorizations and delegations of presidential authority with respect to these matters. “without addressing the specific issues. history.
News of the second attack was unknown before the Journal report.
On February 26, the United States destroyed a facility in Syria allegedly used by an Iranian-allied militia group, marking the first known use of military force by Biden in his presidency. The move came as a shock to Congress, with a wide swath of bipartisan members publicly lamenting the fact that they were not given any prior warning.
Biden said the attack was intended to deter a group of Shiite militias from attacking US troops inside Iraq.
“I conducted this military action in accordance with my responsibility to protect the citizens of the United States both at home and abroad and to promote the national security and foreign policy interests of the United States, consistent with my authority. constitutional authority to conduct the foreign relations of the United States and as Commander-in-Chief and Chief Executive, ”he wrote in his letter to Congress informing them of the strike.
In response to the military action, Senator Tim Kaine (D-Va.) Reintroduced his war powers resolution, which passed the last Congress but was vetoed by President Donald Trump.
The resolution restricts the commander-in-chief’s ability to declare war or take military action without congressional approval.