Biden Administration Withdraws from Connecticut Transgender Athlete Case


The Biden administration has moved to withdraw federal support for a lawsuit against the state of Connecticut that seeks to prohibit it from allowing transgender athletes to compete in girls’ sports at the high school level, the Associated Press reported Wednesday.

The Justice Department’s withdrawal came before Friday’s hearing in the case on the state’s motion to dismiss the lawsuit. Families of three high school girls sued Connecticut officials in 2020, arguing that allowing transgender athletes to compete in girls’ sports forced athletes to “compete against boys.”

“Forcing them to compete against children is not fair, it breaks their dreams and destroys their athletic opportunities,” a lawyer for the plaintiffs, Christiana Holcomb, said last year. “Having separate sports for boys and girls has always been based on biological differences, not on what people believe about their gender, because those differences are important for fair competition.”

Former Attorney General William BarrBill Barr Justice Department renews investigation into George Floyd’s death: report Alerting Antifa and Black Lives Matter Families of Pensacola Naval Station Shooting Victims Sue Saudi Arabia MORE she agreed, arguing in court documents at the time that current state policy violates Title IX, which guarantees girls equal access to sports and other school activities.

“Below [the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference’s] However, in interpreting Title IX, schools may not take into account the actual physiological differences between men and women. Instead, schools must have certain biological males, that is, those who publicly identify as female, compete against biological females, ”Barr’s presentation reads. “In doing so, CIAC deprives these women of the single-sex athletic competition that is one of the most important achievements of Title IX.

In a presentation this week, the United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut John durhamJohn Durham Garland Seeks to Stand in Stark Contrast to End of Trump Era, DOJ John Durham: Don’t Expect Criminal Charges Garland Says He Hasn’t Discussed the Hunter Biden Case with President MORE He wrote that the Justice Department had “reconsidered the matter,” according to the AP.

The news was celebrated by Connecticut Attorney General William Tong (D), who told the AP: “Transgender girls are girls and all women and girls deserve protection from discrimination. Period.”

President BidenJoe BidenHoyer: House To Vote On COVID-19 Relief Bill On Friday Pence Meets With Senior GOP Study Committee Members Powell Rejects GOP Inflation Fears MORE has signaled that it will oversee a reversal of the Trump administration’s general policy stance toward the rights of transgender Americans. In late January, days after taking office, he issued an executive order repealing his predecessor’s ban on transgender Americans from serving in the military.

“What I’m doing is allowing all qualified Americans to serve their country in uniform and essentially restoring the situation … where transgender personnel, if qualified in any other way, can serve their government in the United States military. “Biden said at the time. .

.

Source link