The violent rally took place around sunset, as an international donor conference launched to resolve the huge cost of recovery resolved that the country would not be abandoned.
The rioters fought battles with police and soldiers, who retreated inside the Beirut district in the middle of the fort, allowing the protesters to come closer. They defended their positions with turbulence, while hundreds of men defended the debris from the blast on the iron walls. The crowd was determined to break into the compound and attack the legislature, whose members were widely blamed for the disaster that caused the disaster.
The explosion in the port has killed more than 150 people since the first government resignation and destroyed swathes of the capital, leaving a pit 43 meters (141 ft) deep since Lebanon’s information minister, Manal Abdel Samad, on Sunday .
To apologize to the Lebanese public, he said in a statement, “After the great Beirut devastation, I announced my resignation from the government.”
The environment minister later resigned. A statement by Damianos Kattar stated that he was in solidarity with the victims and that the government had lost many opportunities for reform.
Three more MPs also resigned from Parliament on Sunday, the outskirts of which were surrounded by protesters just before sunset. Although the large crowds seen in central Beirut on Saturday night were reduced to those who arrived on Sunday, they were determined to carry out the incident, setting the scene for major clashes with security forces.
At least 43 MPs will have to resign if the government falls. So far, nine have done so, and there are signs that many more will follow in the coming week, loosening the grip of an already weak government in power.
Meanwhile, at the nearby port, where the devastating explosion exploded around 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate, the search and rescue teams rescued everyone, but gave up hope of finding the survivors. A French team was attempting to reach an underground control room area that indicated seven men were up at the time of the explosion and may have survived. The head of the French team said that five corpses have now been recovered.
“We worked non-stop for 48 hours from Thursday morning to try to reach this control room. Unfortunately we did not find a single survivor, ”said Col. Vincent Tissier.
A Lebanese military officer who coordinated rescue efforts at the dock site said: “After three days of search and rescue operations we can say that we have finished the first phase, with the possibility of finding survivors Was involved. We can say that we have vanishing expectations .. ”
At least 21 people are missing, and 159 are reported to have been killed as one of the worst industrial accidents in history. At least 6,000 people were injured.
As recovery efforts continue, Beirut locals have begun to reflect on what the toll could be. It was not for coronovirus lockdowns, which meant that most bars and cafes in general were densely populated. There were closures in the Jemez district, which were neighboring ports. “Can you imagine what might have looked like a normal night, or even two hours earlier when the workers were at the port?” Asked Ali Houssen, a driver from South Lebanon. “I think we must have been talking thousands of dead.”
The loss to East and Central Beirut was devastating even then, and an online donor conference resolved to address immediate human needs.
The French President, Emmanuel Macron, said: “We must all work together to ensure that there is neither violence nor anarchy. It is the future of Lebanon that is at stake. We must act quickly, and this assistance will go directly to those who need it on the ground. ”
A release from the conference released late on Sunday stated: “For further emergency assistance, the partners are ready to support Lebanon’s economic and financial recovery, which Lebanese officials said was part of a stabilization strategy. But has fully committed to the measures and reforms expected by the people of Lebanon. ”
“In these horrific times, Lebanon is not alone,” the statement said. “Assistance is immediately available and available for a fair, reliable and independent investigation on the August 4 explosion at Lebanon’s request.” The Lebanese President, Michel Aoun, had previously described the call for an international investigation as an attempt to “stop the investigation”.
The terms of an investigation and the ones it should carry out are central with political disenchantment about a week after the explosion, with most of the nation insisting that any local investigation be politicized and those claiming foreign investigations The leader will be an ally for sovereignty.
As recovery efforts continued in some parts of the capital, the Norway Refugee Council said that human money was urgently needed. “In this reaction we should not forget one thing that many Lebanese and refugees were already on their knees before the explosion,” said Carlo Gherardi, Lebanese country director for NRC. “They need us most and they need us right now. International donors have to honor their commitments, and spread the money immediately – there is no time to waste. ”
Social and Economic Action for Lebanon, an American organization that is helping with fundraising, urges donors and individuals to donate through NGO structures.
“The Lebanese government has proved incompetent, untrustworthy and corrupt,” said George Bitar, the group’s president. He said that the non-governmental organization was a more efficient and direct way of obtaining funds to Lebanon, particularly amid a financial crisis that limited people’s access to deposits.