SPOILER ALERT! This article contains details of the plots of some Marvel movies, including recent releases.
Marvel sequel Avengers: Endgame arrives in UK theaters on April 25 and is expected to be the biggest release of 2019.
The movie will be the 22nd entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which started with Iron Man in 2008.
If you want to see the Final Game, but you feel intimidated by the size of the MCU, do not be afraid!
Here you have everything you need to know.
What is the Marvel movie universe?
The Marvel Cinematic Universe, or MCU for short, is the shared place where the 22 movies with comic book characters are located.
Each one tells their own story, but also connects with other films in the MCU, to tell a general story. It is a technique that Marvel Comics pioneer Stan Lee also used in his comics.
The MCU is the most successful movie franchise of all time, with more than $ 18.2 billion (£ 13.7 billion) to date.
In what order should I watch the movies?
We suggest you watch the movies in chronological order, rather than the order in which they were released.
In the book Marvel Studios: The First 10 Years, Marvel launched an official MCU timeline to help you do that.
We have added the published films since the book came out and voila, here is a useful diagram to help you organize your Marvel visit!
Just a geeky note in the diagram. Technically, the main events of Ant-Man and the Wasp occur before the Infinite War, but we suggest that you see it later to fully appreciate the scenes after the credits, which take place later.
Why did Marvel start with these characters?
In 2007, Marvel was recovering from bankruptcy and had sold movie rights to some of the company's most popular characters, such as X-Men and Spider-Man.
Marvel still owned the superheroes that make up the main team of the Avengers, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor and Captain America, so they used the first MCU films to present these heroes.
Marvel then reunited these characters for the Avengers Assemble crossover movie. You can see a list of all the current members of The Avengers here.
The crossover was planned from the beginning.
The first MCU movie released, Iron Man, included a post-credits scene in which Samuel L. Jackson's super spy, Nick Fury, makes the first mention of the Avengers.
I do not have time to watch all the movies! What can I omit?
Endgame is the end of a series of 22 films.
But, do not worry, you do not need to see everyone to be fully prepared.
Here are the 10 movies you could skip and still understand the basics of Endgame.
- The incredible Hulk – you will learn everything you need to know about the key characters here at Avengers Assemble
- Thor idem
- Thor: The Dark World – You do not need to see this to get the essence of Avengers: Age of Ultron
- The Iron Man 2 – It is possible that the fans of Scarlett Johansson do not want to skip this, as it marks its entry into the MCU.
- iron Man 3 – Robert Downey Jr is always visible, but skipping this will not leave you confused
- Ant Man – Scott Lang and his superpowers show up again in Captain America: Civil War
- Strange doctor – All you need to know is that this movie presents the stone of time.
- Guardians of the Galaxy, Volume 2 – there is a good development of characters here, but it will not give you new information about the final battle
- Black Panther – We hesitate to suggest you skip this Oscar winning film, as it is one of the best MCU, but apart from presenting Wakanda as a place, you will get most of the relevant information about the characters presented here in Captain America: Civil War. and avengers: infinite war
- Captain Marvel – Again, look at this if you can, but if you have time, all you need to know is that Carol Danvers (Brie Larson) got her powers from the Space Stone (also known as Tesseract) and she will be important to her. The final battle in Endgame. In addition, the man who gathered the Avengers, Nick Fury, lost his eye to an alien disguised as a cat.
What is so important about Avengers: Endgame?
Marvel's plans for his films are structured in phases, each of which ends with a cross-movie of the Avengers.
Avengers Assemble wrote the end of Phase One, and Age of Ultron closed Phase Two.
Endgame not only ends Phase 3, but also concludes the series of 22 films that Marvel Studios president, Kevin Feige, now calls The Infinity Saga.
The new title for the first three phases of the MCU refers to its general history, which sees the meeting of the Infinite Stones (six powerful gems that grant great power to its owner) and the war against the crazy Titan Thanos (Josh Brolin). You can read a complete guide to the infinite stones here.
The end of the game will see how the remaining Avengers try to rescue them all, after the villain Thanos (Josh Brolin) took all the Infinity Stones and eliminated half of all living beings with a snap of his fingers in Avengers: Infinity War of last year.
You can see a complete list of all those who died here.
All bets are off as to who reaches the goal in Endgame, as it also coincides with the end of the contracts of some of Marvel's biggest stars.
- What we learned from the Avengers: end of game trailer
It has been widely reported that Chris Evans (Steve Rogers / Captain America), Chris Hemsworth (Thor) and Robert Downey Jr (Tony Stark / Iron Man) have reached the end of their contracts.
There have also been speculations that his Marvel co-stars Scarlett Johansson (Natasha Romonova / Black Widow), Jeremy Renner (Clint Barton / Hawkeye) and Mark Ruffalo (Bruce Banner / Hulk) have also reached the end of their stay in the studio. .
Although it is reported that a solo movie by Black Widow is in the works, it could be a prequel, so it is no guarantee that the character of Johansson will survive.
However, one thing is for sure: whatever happens, it will take time for the Endgame story to unfold.
It is the longest entry in MCU so far, with three hours and two minutes. That's the same length as the first installment of Peter Jackson's Hobbit trilogy, An Unexpected Trip (2012).
What is the future of the MCU?
We can expect a major reorganization of the MCU, following Endgame.
Phase four begins with the release of Spider-Man: Far from Home on July 5, 2019.
According to producer Amy Pascal, the film "will start a few minutes after Avengers 4 fits like a story."
Spidey, by Tom Holland, was one of the many heroes eliminated in Thanos' Snap in Infinity War, but given his starring role in this movie, we can expect him to be alive and well before the Endgame credits come out.
New films involving other supposedly dead characters have also been confirmed for Phase Four.
Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige has confirmed that Doctor Strange of Benedict Cumberbatch will return for a sequel at "sometime in the future."
Chadwick Boseman is also likely to recover from his disintegration in time for Black Panther 2.
We also know that a third Guardians of the Galaxy movie has been confirmed, after the hired Disney director James Gunn, but we do not know to which Guardians he will return for her. At the end of Infinity War, Bradley Cooper & # 39; s Rocket and Karen Gillan & # 39; s Nebula were the only survivors of that franchise.
Feige has also hinted that Phase Four could include a sequel solo for Captain Marvel by Brie Larson.
New films involving superpowers called Eternals, and the superhero of martial artist Shang-Chi are also in development.
What Marvel characters are not in the MCU?
You might be confused about why some Marvel characters appear in movies that do not connect to the MCU.
The reason for this is actually simple.
Long before Marvel Studios existed, Marvel Entertainment had sold the rights of some of its characters to other filmmakers.
Spider-Man was sold to Sony. The studio made a trilogy of Spider-Man starring Tobey Maguire, and shortly after restarted the franchise with less success with Andrew Garfield as the webslinger.
However, Sony and Marvel have now agreed to an association that allows Tom Holland's Spider-Man to appear in the MCU films, while Sony retains the character's rights.
Sony also owned the rights of Ghost Rider and made two films about him, starring Nicolas Cage, until rights returned to Marvel in 2013.
The Fantastic Four and X-Men series were sold to 20th Century Fox, although Marvel Studios hopes to recover the rights to both properties this year due to a merger between Disney and Fox. The merger means that Marvel could introduce these characters into the MCU in future films.
Fox also made the films of Deadpool, starring Ryan Reynolds, who sit firmly outside the MCU.
It is not clear what the future holds for this franchise, since the badly spoken pansexual superhero is not the most familiar character.
However, Deadpool's films were a commercial success and star Ryan Reynolds has insinuated on social networks that he would like a future for the Disney character.
Fox also owned Daredevil's rights, in 2003, producing a film starring Ben Affleck, and the 2005 derivative film Elektra, before the rights returned to Marvel.
The Universal Hulk and Blade Films films of New Line Cinema were also the result of agreements reached before the rights of those characters returned to Marvel, and do not belong to the MCU.
I have seen all the MCU movies. What else can I see?
Do not worry There are a lot of TV shows set in the MCU for you to continue.
- Carter agent – Follow the adventures of Hayley Atwell's agent, Peggy Carter, as she resumes her role in the MCU films in this series, which ran from 2015-16.
- Marvel agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. – the show proving that Avengers Assemble was not the end for agent Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg).
- In humans – This program was broadcast on the US network ABC for a series. It centered around the Inhumans, an alien race with superpowers that comes into contact with Earth.
- Fugitives – This program, based on comics of the same name, is found in the Hulu broadcast service. Follow six teenagers who discover that their parents are villains.
- Cloak and dagger – This series about a romance between two super powerful teenagers is found in ABC's Freeform network. It is based on characters that appeared for the first time in Spectacular Spider-Man Comics.
- The Netflix Marvel TV programs – The Marvel deal with Netflix has come to an end, but you can still enjoy the avant-garde adventures of Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and The Punisher in the broadcast service. Ensemble show The Defenders is a true highlight. Although they are apparently in the MCU, these programs have a darker tone and do not really connect with any of the movies.
If you have become a fan now and really want to immerse yourself in the MCU, Digital Spy has created a complete chronological chronology of all the movies and TV shows.
You can also watch the original Marvel movie, the famous 1980s failure of the Howard the Duck.
The superhero with feathers will soon star in one of the four animated series of Marvel Television for adults, so consider this research essential.
Disney has also announced plans for several new Marvel TV series, including one based on Thor's adoptive brother, Loki, in his new online broadcast service, Disney +, so there will be much more Marvel content to watch in the future.
Follow us Facebook, On twitter @BBCNewsEnts, or on Instagram in bbcnewsents. If you have a history suggestion email firstname.lastname@example.org