According to the UN humanitarian coordinator in the country, at least 110 people have been killed in an attack on a Boko Haram jihadist group in a village in northeast Nigeria.
Advocate Kallon said that Boko Alam fighters brutally killed at least 110 civilians and many were injured in the attack after 43 and then at least 70 people were killed in the initial attacks.
“The incident is the most violent direct attack against innocent civilians this year,” Kallan said, “I call for the justice of the perpetrators of this heinous and insensitive act.”
The attack took place in the village of Koshobe near the main town of Maiduguri, in which the attackers were targeting farmers in rice fields. The governor of Borno State, Babagana Umara Zulm, attended the burial on Sunday in the nearby Zabaramari village near the 43 bodies recovered on Saturday, adding that the toll could increase after the search operation resumed.
According to the pro-government anti-jihadist militia, the attackers tied up agricultural workers and cut their throats. Among the victims were workers from Sokoto State in northwest Nigeria, 1,000 km (600 mi) away, who traveled to the north-east to find work. Six others were injured in the attack and eight remained missing till Saturday.
Kallan cited “reports that several women may have been kidnapped”, and called for his immediate release and return to safety.
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari condemned the attack, saying, “The entire country has been injured by these senseless killings”.
The attack occurred when voters had been voting in local elections in Borno State for a long time. The elections were repeatedly postponed due to an increase in attacks by Boko Haram and rival dissident faction, ISWAP.
Two groups have been blamed for the aggravated attacks on the paralyzer, farmers and fishermen, whom they accuse of spying for military and pro-military militias.