One man is useless following an armed stand-off on the Big Bear Sports Center in Billings

Breaking News replace 2:30 pm – Suspect useless in armed stand-off in Billings

Courtesy Billings Gazette –  A person who crashed a automotive into Big Bear Sports Center after which barricaded himself inside for nearly 10 hours is useless.

The man drove a crimson 2000 Mercury Mountaineer with momentary license plates into the enterprise’ storefront round three a.m. Saturday with the obvious aim of stealing firearms, Billings Police Chief Rich St. John mentioned. The man then bumped into the enterprise and barricaded himself within the constructing.

Police responded to the incident, and it developed right into a standoff.

A little bit earlier than midday and after a number of makes an attempt by police negotiators to de-escalate the state of affairs, the person appeared to attempt to exit the constructing from an east door close to PetSmart. He got here out and pointed a rifle earlier than retreating again into the constructing. After extra negotiating, the person moved towards the entrance entrance of the shop. When he did not adjust to police instructions, gunfire was exchanged.

After the gunshots stopped, police waited about 30 minutes earlier than sending a bomb squad robotic inside to get eyes on the state of affairs. The robotic discovered the person useless.

The man’s identification has not been launched.

Inside the shop, the person had entry to a “significant amount” of weapons and ammunition, St. John mentioned. The man fired photographs contained in the constructing and round four:30 a.m. exchanged gunfire with Billings Police officers a number of instances all through the standoff. No staff had been within the constructing on the time. The man was firing large- and small-calibur bullets within the exchanges.

No officers had been harm as of 9:30 a.m. It’s unknown if the person was injured within the four:30 a.m. gunfire change.

The police’s armored car, the BEAR, was shot within the incident by a high-powered rifle.

Before the incident, the person went to Walmart, and staff “ran him off,” St. John mentioned. The man left that retailer and subsequent went to Big Bear.

Breaking information replace 1:54 pm – Billings police consider suspect has been hit. SWAT groups now clearing the constructing

“Early this morning we had a vehicle that drove and broke through the doors of the Big Bear Sports Center here in town,” mentioned Billings Police Cpt. Kevin Iffland. “A male subject went inside and we responded. There were some shots fired from Big Bear’s while we were on the outside.”

“Throughout a several hour ordeal there were shots that were coming from inside the building towards officers on the outside and there was return fire. At this point we believe we have hit the subject, but we’re still in the process of clearing the Big Bear Sports Center.”

“We’ve got SWAT teams clearing the building right now. I can’t confirm anything further from there.”

Original report:

Billings information media is reporting there may be an lively shooter state of affairs in Billings, and that Billings police have cordoned off a big space surrounding  the Big Bear Sports Center on King Avenue.

Multiple media sources are reporting that the continuing stand-off started round three a.m. Saturday morning, when an unidentified suspect rammed a car by way of the doorway of Big Bear, apparently in an try to steal weapons.

At round four:30 a.m Billings police started to change gunfire with the suspect, who had barricaded himself inside the Big Bear retailer. According to MTN News, no police had been struck by bullets within the change, however a police car was struck by gunfire.

It is unknown whether or not the male suspect was injured in the course of the change.

At round 9 a.m. a big explosion was heard, “rocking the building and area immediately surrounding the store.” That explosion is suspected to have been the detonation of a “flash-bang” explosive gadget utilized by Billings police. As of 12:07, the Billings bomb squad was nonetheless actively collaborating within the stand-off.

Negotiating groups are nonetheless within the space, utilizing a bullhorn to speak with the suspect. Three Billings dump vehicles at the moment are parked close to the doorway of the Big Bear retailer, blocking the exit from the constructing. 

According to MTN information, at round 11:50 a.m. two fast photographs had been fired. This was adopted by regular gunfire about 15 minutes later. Two further flash-bangs had been detonated close to the doorway of Big Bear Sports shortly thereafter.

Billings police are urging residents to avoid the world.

The Tribune will replace this story as further info turns into obtainable

Read or Share this story: