More than 100 people were taken to local hospitals after a toxic substance leak at a school in uMlazi
Image: Rescue Care
Durban – The students and staff of a school in the U Section of uMlazi had to be rushed to the hospital on Monday morning after a suspicion of a toxic gas leak.
Rescue Care spokesman Garrith Jamieson said they were called to the site just after 9:30 am and found chaos at the school.
"It is alleged that some students were playing with a ball of some kind that was then opened and a powder substance was spilled, this substance was picked up by the wind and entered several classrooms with several students and teachers," he said.
Jamieson said the EMRS and Rescue Care paramedics requested more resources to help due to the number of injuries.
"The Police Search and Rescue unit of SAPS and Metro was also called in. Three students and one teacher were seriously injured and stabilized at the scene, the Lenmed1 Aeromedical Helicopter was called to help with a quick transport to Lenmed Ethekweni Hospital. and Center of the heart, "said Jamieson.
"At least 60 more people are being treated and will be taken to the hospital," he said.
The Department of Education in KwaZulu-Natal requested an investigation into the incident.
Speaking on behalf of the department, Kwazi Mthethwa said they are closely monitoring the situation.
"We are closely monitoring this devastating situation and have been able to establish contact with the school with the intention of helping when possible," he said.