FRESNO, California (CBS) – A California man with a love for raw fish had a big scare when a trip to the bathroom led to a disturbing discovery.
He felt sick with diarrhea when he noticed what looked like a portion of intestine that hung from his body.
The man grabbed him and took him out and soon discovered that it was a tapeworm of 5 1/2 feet.  Emergency Physician Dr. Kenny Bahn was the emergency physician on duty in Fresno, where the man went and retells the story of the incident in a recent episode of the podcast "This Will not Hurt A Bit. "
The patient came to the emergency room and asked to be treated for worms, something Bahn said he hears a lot from patients who try to self-diagnose and that often makes him skeptical.
But then Bahn noticed that the man had a plastic bag in his hand. Inside, he had wrapped the worm in a cardboard paper tube.
"Did that come out of your ass?" Bahn asked the man, who replied: "Yes."
The doctor asked more questions and discovered that the man suffered from abdominal cramps and bloody diarrhea. While using the bathroom, he saw something hanging from himself and pulled.
"He grabs it, and he shoots it, and keeps coming out," Bahn told the podcast. Then he held it in front of him "and what does he do?" He begins to move ".
At the hospital, Bahn untangles the tape measure and places it on paper towels on the floor of the emergency room. It was 5 1/2 feet long. "My height," said Bahn.
He soon learned that the man had not traveled to other countries or engaged in unusual behavior that could have exposed him to the parasite. He said, however, that he liked sushi, especially raw salmon sashimi, and ate it daily.
Last year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned that a tapeworm that infects Asian Pacific salmon is present in US waters.
Although the risk of contracting a tapeworm for eating raw or undercooked fish is low, doctors warn that it is possible.
Other pathogens, including the bacterium Salmonella and several parasitic worms, may also be present and may cause disease.
To protect themselves, experts recommend not buying raw or undercooked fish in restaurants that are not up to their health levels.
"I would not go to a restaurant with a C & # 39; C in New York largely for this reason. It's a big warning sign when a sushi restaurant can not maintain a rating. # 39 ;, because one of the main things that qualify is refrigeration.They are not cooking fish so that it is the only method of prevention, keeping it cold, "D Daniel Eiras, assistant professor of infectious diseases at NYU Langone Medical Center, he told CBS News last May
When preparing fish at home, cook seafood at an indoor temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit, recommends the US Food and Drug Administration. UU Freezing fish can also kill parasites, according to the FDA.