A North Carolina college student died of rare neurological complications from the virus, his family says.

A 19-year-old student at Appalachian State University – a basketball player, “in tremendous shape,” according to his family – on Monday night, apparently suffering neurological complications related to Kovid-19, his family and the university said.

Chad was a school attendant in Boon, Dorril, N.C., who was living on campus and applied online when he became ill with flu-like symptoms, Appalachian State Chancellor Sherry Avets said in a statement to students on Tuesday Wrote

Mr. Doril tested positive for coronovirus on September 7 and, according to an uncle David Doril, quarantined with his family for 10 days in Wallburg, NC before returning to Boone. He said that after his nephew returned to college, he almost dramatically began to experience neurological problems.

Credit …Yasmin Leonard Photography

“When he tried to get out of bed,” Mr. Doril said, “his legs were not working, and my brother had to take him up to the car and take him to the emergency room. The doctor said it There was a one-in-a-million case – that he would never have seen anything the way he did. It was a complication of a Kovid who attacked his brain rather than attacking his respiratory system. “

Although colleges and universities have become hot spots in the epidemic, young, healthy people are generally at lower risk for developing severe forms of Kovid-19. Only a handful of deaths among American college students have been linked to the virus, including a football player at California University of Pennsylvania.

A New York Times database tracking the virus on college campuses has recorded at least 130,000 confirmed cases since the onset of the epidemic, mostly a decline, but only in 70 confirmed deaths, mostly from college employees. In the middle spring.

David Doril said an autopsy was being conducted. Dr. Colin McDonald, chair of neurology at Forsythe Medical Center in Winston Salem, N.C., where Chad’s parents removed him from life support at 8 a.m. Monday, saying the hospital and the staff caring for him “were devastated Were.”

“We’re doing everything we can to find out why it happened,” Dr. McDonald said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.