A 27-year-old woman died of a disease transmitted by rodents about three months after she began showing symptoms. In early February, Kiley Lane of Aztec, New Mexico, tested positive for Hantavirus, a very rare and serious disease that is transmitted to humans through contact with urine or the excrement of infected rodents.
"A month ago I was going to Costa Rica with a lot of girlfriends, and enjoy a fun week, now she can not do anything by herself," Lane's mother, Julie Barron, told CBS affiliate KRQE at that moment.
Barron said he had no idea how his daughter could have contracted it.
Lane was treated at the University Hospital of New Mexico (UNMH) with an "ECMO machine", which means oxygenation with extracorporeal membrane, designed to temporarily support or replace cardiac and pulmonary function. . The UNMH doctors told KRQE that it can essentially bring people back to life by circulating blood around their bodies.
But earlier this week, Lane's family announced on a YouCaring page set up to help with medical expenses that the treatment did not work.
"Kiley Rianna Terrell Lane left this world and peacefully joined her Heavenly Father on April 18 surrounded by her loving husband, mother, sister and family," they wrote. "Kiley bravely fought in a battle to survive a deadly virus for weeks at the University Hospital of New Mexico in Albuquerque."
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as of January 2017, a total of 728 cases of Hantavirus infection have been reported in the United States, including 248 deaths in the last 25 years.
Most cases occur in the West, especially in Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico, where the deer mouse is a common carrier.
Early Symptoms Hantavirus infection includes fatigue, fever, and muscle aches, especially in large muscle groups such as the thighs, hips, back, and shoulders. Some people may also experience headaches, dizziness, chills and abdominal problems such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain.
Four to 10 days after the initial phase, more symptoms appear, such as coughing and difficulty breathing. One survivor described the feeling of a "tight band around the chest and a pillow over the face" while the lungs fill with fluid, according to the CDC.
The Lane family's hope of sharing their story will help stimulate more research and funding to find a cure and treatment of Hantavirus.
"Share Kiley's story with others," they wrote on the fundraising page. "Ask questions about Hantavirus Continue the dialogue about this terrible virus that is feared to be more prevalent than it is completely understood." If a person undergoes early tests and avoids the pain and agony suffered by Kiley, it is an impacted life. positively. "