A Marine officer breathed a sigh of relief after a training accident that left 9 dead

A Marine lieutenant colonel got rid of the command on Tuesday after a training accident that killed nine US service members off the California coast in late July.

Marine Corps Base Camp Kendleton said Lt. Col. Michael J., the commanding officer of the Battalion Landing Team, 1st Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit. Regner was relieved.

On July 30, eight marines and a sailor were killed while drifting off the coast of San Clemente Island off the southern California coast, which sank after a severe assault.

Lieutenant General Kirsten S. Heckle, general commanding of the I Marine Expeditionary Force, relieved Rainer “due to the loss of a trust in the attack and confidence in his ability to command as a result of an ambivalent amphibious vehicle accident,” the base said. Statement.

The investigation into the crash is ongoing, the Marine Base statement said.

During the search for a remote amphibious assault vehicle, a remotely operated vehicle is deployed off the coast of Southern California on August 3, 2020.Curtis Shell / US Navy via AP

A Marine was killed who was recovered after a training accident. The bodies of the other eight service members were recovered in early August. The military attack states that the amphibious assault was carried out in 385 feet of water.

In all, 15 Marines and a sailor were aboard the amphibious assault vehicle when it began taking water around 5:45 in the evening of 30 July.

He served the rest of the unit at that time, Lieutenant General Joseph L. Signed to Osterman. He said two amphibious assault vehicles and a security boat were nearby. Allman said that all the Marines had floating equipment, and some of them were rescued, who were successfully deployed in gear.

The 26-tonne vehicle appeared to be drowning in “several hundred feet of water” more than 1,000 meters from the northwest corner of the island. The vehicle sank during a “noise-to-ship maneuver”, the military said.

A search-rescue operation was launched for any survivors, but it was called off after a 40-hour extensive search, the military said at the time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.