A 13-year-old boy with autism was shot by police after his mother called him for help in managing a ‘mental disturbance’.

Golda Barton said her son Lyndon Cameron, who has Asperger syndrome, experienced a “mental breakdown” in the first day. It was the first day at work in nearly a year, and Linden was having trouble coping, she confirmed to CNN in an email.

Barton also confirmed that he called the police and asked the crisis management team to help manage the situation and get his son treated.

“I said, ‘Look, he’s unarmed. He has nothing. He just goes crazy and he starts screaming and screaming,” Barton told CNN-affiliated KUTV about his call to police . “He is a child he is trying to get attention. He does not know how to regulate.”

When police arrived, Barton said his son had run away. He told KUTV that he heard someone “falling to the ground three times”, then fired several times.

“Why didn’t they hit him? Why didn’t they hit him with a rubber bullet?” Barton told the station. “He’s a small child. Why don’t you just deal with him? You’re a big police officer with massive resources.”

Salt Lake City Police Sgt. Keith Horrocks said at a news conference on Saturday that officers were called to the area because a boy was having a “psychological episode” and threatened some people with weapons.
Lyndon Cameron

Horrs said the boy ran away and as police pursued, an officer fired his weapon and struck the child. Authorities provided medical aid to the boy until medical personnel arrived, Horracks said. He was then taken to a local hospital according to police.

Linden’s injuries include nerve damage to his shoulder, ankles, intestines, bladder and colon as well, Barton told CNN.

It is unclear whether the boy actually had a weapon, or what was actually threatened that police were asked to answer.

Barton told CNN that his son was unarmed. Detective Greg Wilking, a spokesman for the Salt Lake City Police Department, told CNN on Tuesday that he could not specifically say whether the boy had a weapon or “what the officers’ alleged threats were,” and that those questions To be determined by investigation.

Lyndon Cameron

Wilking said, “Mother can say whatever she wants, but this investigation has to be done and this process has to be done.”

The incident is being investigated by a team which according to Wilking was primarily comprised of officers from the West Valley City Police Department. West Valley City is a suburb of Salt Lake City, both of which are part of Salt Lake County.

Once that investigation is completed, the information will be diverted to the district attorney’s office, who will conduct its own investigation. The city also has a civic review board that investigates complaints related to police conduct.

Salt Lake City Mayor Erin Mendenhall said in a statement, “While full details of the incident have not yet been released, I say that I am thankful that this young boy is alive and no others were injured.” According to KUTV.

“There are no circumstances, what happened on Friday night is a tragedy and I hope everyone will be involved to carry out this investigation swiftly and transparently.”