99-year-old Prince Philip recovers from ‘successful’ heart surgery


Britain’s Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth II’s 99-year-old husband, is recovering from a “successful” heart operation, Buckingham Palace said Thursday.

“The Duke of Edinburgh underwent a successful procedure yesterday for a pre-existing heart condition at St Bartholomew Hospital,” the palace said, using Philip’s formal title.

“His Royal Highness will remain in the hospital for treatment, rest and recovery for several days,” the statement said.

Philip, who will turn 100 in June, has been hospitalized since February 16, when he was admitted to London’s King Edward VII Hospital as a “precautionary measure.”

He was initially treated for an infection, but on Monday he was transferred to St. Bartholomew’s, a hospital specializing in cardiac care.

It wasn’t immediately clear which heart condition was treated in this week’s surgery, but Philip has struggled with his ticker in the past.

The police officers are outside St Bartholomew's Hospital, where Britain's Prince Philip has been admitted.
The police officers are outside St Bartholomew’s Hospital, where Britain’s Prince Philip has been admitted.
REUTERS

In 2011, he was rushed to a hospital by helicopter after suffering chest pains and was treated for a blocked coronary artery.

Since he was hospitalized, the duke has been publicly visited only by his son and heir, Prince Charles.

The 94-year-old queen has remained at Windsor Castle, where she and Philip have been staying during the coronavirus pandemic, and continued to fulfill her official duties by video last week.

The couple received the COVID-19 vaccine in January and Philip’s illness is not believed to be related to the coronavirus.

Philip, the longest-serving royal consort in British history, married the then-Princess Elizabeth in 1947. They have four children, eight grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.

With cable poles

.

Source link