Nine more local residents have died of COVID-19 as the number of new cases skyrocketed across the state and the virus reappeared at The Villages Charter School.
Six of the latest deaths were Lake County residents and the other three lived in Marion County. They are among 1,610 deaths in the tri-county area, 31,696 statewide and 515,985 nationwide.
Four more students from The Villages Charter School tested positive for COVID-19 this week: two on Monday and two on Tuesday. That brings the total number of cases among charter school students to 78 since classes began in August 2020. That number represents 45 percent of the 173 cases reported in all public schools in Sumter County.
In total, Florida is reporting 1,918,100 cases, an increase of 7,179 from Monday to Tuesday. Of these, 1,882,865 are residents. A total of 81,279 COVID-19 cases have been reported in long-term care facilities and 31,022 in correctional facilities. Statewide, 79,731 people have been hospitalized.
Locally, 69 new cases of COVID-19 were reported in and around The Villages on Tuesday. Those include:
- The Villages (Sumter, Lake and Marion counties) were up 33 for a total of 4,186;
- Leesburg is up 11 for a total of 3,831;
- Wildwood raised 7 for a total of 945;
- Lady Lake climbed 7 for a total of 1,477;
- Summerfield raised 4 for a total of 1,742;
- Oxford rose 3 for a total of 458;
- Belleview went up 3 for a total of 1,194; Y
- Fruitland Park goes up 1 for a total of 674.
Below is a breakdown of other COVID-19 activities in the local area:
- Cases: 60,565 – increase of 246
- Deaths: 1,610
- Hospitalizations: 3,552
- Cases: 8,071 – increase of 50
- Deaths: 238
- Hospitalizations: 510
- Areas / cities with the most cases: The Villages (3,839), Wildwood (945), Bushnell (854), Coleman (829) and Oxford (458).
- Cases: 24,744 – increase of 109
- Deaths: 566
- Hospitalizations: 1,292
- Cities with the most cases: Clermont (6,473), Leesburg (3,831), Eustis (2,191), Mount Dora (1,871) and Tavares (1,802). The Villages also reports 168 cases.
- Cases: 27,750 – increase of 87
- Deaths: 806
- Hospitalizations: 1,750
- Cities with the most cases: Ocala (20,387), Summerfield (1,742), Dunnellon (1,257), Belleview (1,194), and Silver Springs (576). The Villages also reports 179 cases.