1. When Taylor started writing and recording this album, the objective was to “kill” 1989 and create one thing totally totally different.
2. In truth, she says that trying to duplicate any a part of 1989 would have been “ineffective” since that album was its personal entity.
three. To obtain this objective, she particularly narrowed her pool of producers, from the 12 she labored with on 1989, to simply three on Reputation.
four. She selected Max Martin, Shellback and Jack Antonoff – all of whom she’d labored with on 1989 and believed possessed the flexibility to create one thing new.
5. The first time Taylor felt she was actually “onto something” with this album was after laying down “I Did Something Bad.” She and Max Martin had been each in settlement that it sounded nothing like something on 1989.
6. Speaking of “I Did Something Bad,” the tune was initially written utilizing only a piano, though you’d by no means guess that based mostly on the ultimate end result.
7. And that sound impact after the refrain that goes: “Durrrlatatatata duh duh,” is definitely Taylor’s actual voice.
eight. Taylor says she wakened from a dream with the sound in her head, and determined it was so “hooky and catchy” that it wanted to be in a tune.
9. She then made the noise to Max Martin and requested what instrument they might use to duplicate it. He informed her that no such instrument existed, however that they might file her voice and pitch it proper down so it turned unrecognisable.
10. This occasion wasn’t the primary time Taylor has woken up from a dream with a sound in her head that made it onto an album. The identical factor occurred throughout the1989 period when she wakened listening to the operatic “Stay!” that went on for use in “All You Had To Do Was Stay.”
11. Believe it or not, “Look What You Made Me Do” was initially an emotional poem that Taylor wrote. In truth, the verses of their entirety exist within the poem, however the refrain got here throughout the recording clbades.
12. She and the producers liked the spoken chorus of “Oooh, look what you made me do” a lot that they determined to strip away some other phrases.
13. There’s a recurring theme of crime and punishment throughout the album, which truly begins within the opening tune, “…Ready For It?” In this monitor, the theme is explored via the notion of discovering a romantic badociate so much like you that they could possibly be known as your “partner in crime.”
14. However, the metaphor is used to totally different impact on different songs. For instance, “Getaway Car” makes use of felony imagery to depict a relationship destined to fail.
15. Historically, the fifth monitor on any Taylor Swift album is emotional and susceptible, and she or he upheld the custom on Reputation.
16. In truth, “Delicate,” is the primary second of actual vulnerability on the album.
17. The inspiration for the tune was born from Taylor realising that her “fake” repute might have an actual influence if it led to somebody she wished in her life deciding towards attending to know her.
18. In truth, whereas the primary few tracks on the album have a bombastic and carefree method to her repute, “Delicate” is about recognising that maybe it does carry some weight.
19. This monitor can also be the primary occasion of the auto-tune model vocal impact that’s then repeated all through the album. The sound was achieved utilizing a vocoder, which splits a singer’s voice into chords that may be rearranged.
20. Taylor says the sound had a “sad and vulnerable” vibe that was good for the monitor.
21. This album is the primary to comprise a tune wherein Taylor swears. While she’s used “damn” and “hell” earlier than, she truly drops the “S” bomb on “I Did Something Bad.”
22. It’s additionally the primary time Taylor references alcohol, and repeatedly at that. In truth, there are 13 references to consuming throughout the 15 tracks.
23. And regardless of by no means having used the phrase “my baby” in her discography earlier than, it seems 17 occasions on Reputation.
24. Taylor wrote the lyrics to “Dress” a full yr earlier than recording it, after which “cherry-picked” her favorite traces when it got here to recording.
25. She’s notably pleased with the hook in “Dress” – “I only bought this dress so you could take it off” – as a result of whereas it appears like a pickup line, it truly masks the “deep and tender feelings” within the tune.
26. And whereas some individuals speculated that the tune was about Ed Sheeran because of the reference to a “best friend” within the refrain, he has confirmed that he did not encourage the monitor.
27. The child voice in the beginning of “Gorgeous” belongs to Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds’ daughter, James.
29. We do know, nevertheless, that she got here up with the lyrics over the course of two weeks again in September final yr.
30. We additionally know that Taylor modified a number of of the lyrics to “Gorgeous” between writing and recording it. One such lyric was: “My reputation precedes both of us,” which went on to be repurposed on “End Game.”
31. Taylor included lots of the lyrics from Reputation in graffiti on the partitions within the video for “…Ready For It,” which was released before the album came out. Some of these lines, such as “They’re burning all of the witches,” and “I liked you in secret,” had been observed by followers.
32. However, there was one piece of graffiti that just about everybody missed – a crown with a coronary heart beneath signifying the tune “King of My Heart.”
33. Taylor had a particular objective for this tune. She wished to convey the definitive phases of a relationship, and the particular moments a pair realise they’ve transitioned into a brand new section. Speaking concerning the tune, Taylor defined: “I’ve always wanted to structure a song where each individual section sounded like a move forward in the relationship while still being listenable. I wanted the verse to seem like its own phase, the pre chorus to have its own phase and chorus to have its own phase. I wanted them to have their own identity but seem like they were getting deeper as the song went on.”
34. You might have observed the repeated point out of issues being “gold” or “golden” throughout the album. Well, again in 2012, Taylor wrote within the liner notes of Red that she thinks “real love shines golden like starlight,” and that she would possibly “write a whole album” about that sort of love if she “ever found it.”
35. Taylor says the album is “very linear” in its timeline. It begins out with “rebellion and anger and angst” earlier than she falls in love and modifications her priorities. She says the ultimate tracks are consultant of her present emotional state.
36. Taylor and Jack Antonoff wrote “New Year’s Day” in his house and the entire course of got here collectively so unbelievably shortly that they texted one another the following day to “check it wasn’t a dream.”
37. She was impressed to jot down the tune after fascinated by how New Year’s Eve kisses are romanticised, and but the notion of an individual “dealing” with you on New Year’s Day by “handing you Advil and helping you clear up the house” is arguably a extra romantic badertion of permanence.
38. There are two lyrics within the tune that Taylor says she wrote “a really long time ago.” Those two traces traces are: “Please do not ever turn out to be a stranger whose chuckle I might recognise anyplace,” and “Hold onto the recollections, they may maintain onto you.” She says she was saving the traces for the proper tune and felt they match completely on the ultimate monitor.
39. And, lastly, Reputation has now turn out to be Taylor’s fourth album to promote 1,000,000 copies in its first week.