A teen has died from a rare “Brain eater” amoeba According to news reports, the infection after a family vacation in Florida.
According to local news outlets, 13-year-old Tenor Wall and his family recently stayed at a camp ground in North Florida, which has a water park and lake where the boy went swimming. News4jax. News4Jax reported that Tanner developed symptoms including nausea, vomiting, headaches, and stiff neck, several days after swimming in the lake.
Tanner was initially diagnosed with strep throat, but his parents suspected that Tanner’s condition may be more serious, and so they referred him to UF Health in Gainesville, Florida for a second opinion.
There, the teenager was put on a ventilator, and doctors made a devastating discovery.
“He said we were sorry to tell you, but your son … has a parasitic amoeba, and has no cure,” Tanner’s father, Travis Wall, told News4Jax. Tanner died of an infection Negleria Fowlerly On August 2, News4Jax reported.
related: 5 key facts about brain-eating amoeba
Negleria Fowlerly Is a single-celled organism found naturally in warm fresh water, according to lakes and rivers Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). In the US, most infections occur in the southern states, especially during the summer months after prolonged warming, which raises water temperatures, Live science first told.
Swallowing water contaminated Negleria Fowlerly An infection will not cause, but if contaminated water goes above the nose, the organism can enter the brain and destroy brain tissue. According to the CDC, infection with a survival rate of less than 3% is almost universally fatal. It is unclear whether some people are able to survive in this condition, but factors contributing to survival include early detection of infection and treatment with an experimental drug along with other invasive treatments to reduce brain inflammation. Is included. Live science first told. (It is important to note that miltefosine is not a proven treatment for the condition, and some patients who received the drug did not survive it.)
However, N. Fowleri The infection is very rare in the US in the recent 10 years with only 34 infections, though millions of people go swimming every year, the CDC says. But the infection may be more common as the water temperature rises Climate change, according to this business Insider.
Tanner’s death is the second reported summer of this infection in Florida. Death was announced earlier Florida Health Department On 3 July, though some details about the case were released.
As a precaution, the Florida Department of Health suggests that people avoid swimming in warm fresh water during high water temperatures and low water levels, and that they use nasal clips during activities in warm fresh water or use their Let’s hold the nose.
Originally published on Live Science.