13-year-old boy died of brain-eating amoeba after visiting campground: parents


A 13-year-old Florida boy died of brain-eating amoebae, according to his parents.

According to WJXT, Tanner Wall became ill after going to a campground in Florida on vacation day. The campground had both a water park and a lake. Reports did not identify the camp ground as the case was not officially connected to it.

Two days after the visit, Wale’s parents brought him to a hospital where he had previously had a sore throat, the report said. Fearing this could get worse, his parents took him to another hospital, where he was placed on a ventilator.

According to the report, Gainesville, Fla. Doctors at UF Health found that the wall contained Negalaria fowlerlee, commonly referred to as the “brain-eating amoeba”. Amoeba can cause infection for the brain.

The report stated that on August 2, Wale had no brain activity, due to which his parents decided to give him life.

“People need to be aware from late July to September with warm water, that this amoeba, it can come to your nose. It can be diving. It can be things like swimming, water sports, skiing, Are, ”said Tanner’s father, Travis Wall.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, amoeba can be found in warm fresh water, such as lakes, rivers, and waterfalls. The amoeba can thrive and become dangerous when the water temperature rises in the upper 70s and 80s. If contaminated water enters a person’s nose and brain, it can cause infection.

Symptoms include severe frontal headache, fever, nausea, and vomiting, and then as it progresses, stiff neck, seizures, altered mental status, hallucinations and coma, according to the CDC.

Read more