According to local reports, a 10-year-old girl in Italy was declared brain-dead after attempting a so-called “blackout challenge” on Tikotok.
The dangerous game – also known as the “passout challenge” and the “unconscious game” – dares the participants to shackle themselves until they are out for several seconds.
Italy’s news agency FSA reported that the accident became tragic when the child tied a belt around his neck, accidentally injuring himself.
The outlet said the girl was taken to a hospital in Palermo on Thursday. She underwent cardiac arrest and was soon declared brain-dead by doctors.
His parents have allowed his daughter’s organs to be donated, ANSA reported, indicating that he would soon be given life support.
Experts warn that the tendency is dangerous and can lead to unconsciousness, brain damage and seizures.
TikTok users are encouraged to flag anyone engaged in the challenge by clicking on the symbol that says “Report”.