Kim Jong Un, president of the Workers' Party of Korea and supreme leader of North Korea since 2011, will celebrate his 34th birthday on Monday.
However, according to a report in the Telegraph, there will be no fanfare on this year's day. There may be several reasons behind the step, one is the backlash from harsh economic sanctions, while the other is the efforts orchestrated by his sister, Kim Yo Jong, to mold his image as a benevolent leader.
Kim's age has also been kind of a mystery and was never officially recognized. However, her age was confirmed by her aunt Ko Yong Suk who recalled, in an interview with the Washington Post, that she changed her diapers when she was a baby.
These are some quotes from the North Korean leader, which provide an idea of his cult personality.
1. Why would it hit the United States and invite a retaliatory counterattack that would end my regime? Keep in mind that the purpose of all this, all my strategy, all our efforts and the difficulties we have endured, is to ensure that my regime and I survive. Why would he risk that? I believe in murder, not in suicide.
2. The days are gone forever when our enemies could blackmail us with nuclear bombs.
3. I heard that senior officials from China and the United States were discussing whether to encourage a coup in North Korea to obtain a more docile ruler. So I took steps to make sure this can not happen. The man in our government closest to the Chinese, who could have organized such an attempted coup, was my uncle. The man that would have been my natural replacement was my half brother. Both have been liquidated, as have more than 100 high-level disloyal officials.
4. My nation faces a fundamental challenge: survival. The regime is more threatened than ever. My ancestors had it easy. The Great Leader, my grandfather, ruled with the support of the other superpower in the world at that time, the Soviet Union, as well as our China. But today, the Soviet Union is history and China has become more integrated with the Western system. And the United States is looking for a regime change in my country. And still, we have survived with our ideology and system intact. How? Because we have built a protection in the form of nuclear weapons.
5. The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when you build your military might in every way can you become a prosperous country.
6. The revolution is carried out through our thinking.
7. Do you want to know what is more destructive than a nuclear bomb? Words.
8. Compared to 10 years ago, the main motivation for defection has shifted from food to freedom.
9. Past records of inter-Korean relations show that confrontation between compatriots leads only to war.
10. The industrial revolution in the new century is, in essence, a scientific and technological revolution, and breaking with the vanguard is a shortcut for the construction of an economic giant.