1 of 2 Oklahoma officers who were shot during a traffic stop die

TULSA, Oklahoma (AP) – One of the two Tulsa, Oklahoma police officers who were shot during a traffic stop died, authorities said Tuesday.

Police Chief Wendell Franklin said Sgt. Craig Johnson died Tuesday. He said Johnson was shot multiple times during Monday’s attack, including one shot that was “critical.”

Franklin described Johnson’s death as a “tremendous loss” to the police department.

“His sacrifice will not be remembered,” he said.

Johnson and rookie officer Aurash Zarkeshan were killed at 3:30 am Monday during a traffic stop. The alleged gunman, David Anthony Ware, 32, was arrested after a search that lasted more than seven hours.

Officers were attempting to remove Ware from the vehicle, and an officer had already deployed a Taser and pepper spray in an attempt to remove him. Once outside, Ware pulled out a pistol and fired several bullets, Franklin said.

Zarkeshan had been on patrol for less than six weeks since he graduated from the police academy in the spring, the chief said.

Johnson had joined the Tulsa police in 2005 and was promoted to sergeant in 2015, Franklin said.

“Sergeant Johnson was a good man who improved our lives, who trained his fellow officers to be better,” said Tulsa Mayor GT Bynum.

Franklin said Johnson was survived by his wife, two young children, and his parents. She said the Johnson family had decided to donate her organs.

The motive for the shooting was unclear. Tulsa Police Captain Richard Meulenberg said Ware had no known bias against the police.

While Ware was being detained, police said, he called an “accomplice” who arrived in a separate vehicle and picked him up. Police said that man, Matthew Hall, was later arrested Tuesday at Broken Arrow.

Ware faces murder and weapons charges, and Hall faces the charge of being an accessory murder and a related charge. Both are being held without bond in Tulsa prison. Court records do not include an attorney to speak for any of them.


Check Also

The transcripts show what Officer Derek Chauvin said to George Floyd: “It takes a lot of oxygen to speak.” – WCCO

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) – As George Floyd told Minneapolis police officers that he could not breathe …